Monday, June 8, 2009

EU adopts 'Blue Card'

I have been following this off and on for the last six months and just now found some news links that the EU blue card program has been approved.

This is modeled on the US green card program, to bring skilled immigrants to the EU for jobs. Some key provisions are it allows more rights for immigrant workers, including the ability to work in any EU state, and it allows spouses to work. Currently, with my work visa, I am only allowed to work at the institute where I am currently employed, and V can't work without applying for special, case by case, temporary permission. I am going to keep a close eye on how this blue card program develops and see if it makes sense for me to apply for it so I could have more job mobility and V could get a regular job.

No comments: