Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Licenses

I finally got my US drivers license replaced! (The German drivers license office here took it before they would give me my German license.) It has taken several months and I had to request it more than once but finally, after having it sent to my brothers address and him remailing it, I have valid US ID. We had some trouble with bank accounts a few months ago because they would not take only passport ID and wanted to see a US drivers license for US citizens. Now that I have my US ID back there nothing stopping V from getting here German license now and helping with the kids commuting back and forth from school.

And

My Christmas present for myself; it is nearly impossible for me to get a fishing license in Germany because I am a resident now and would have to take extensive classes and tests in German (rather than a tourist license). Plus all lakes and streams, even if they are public, are controlled by private local fishing organizations and even if you have a fishing license you have to arrange for site specific temporary permits from them. On the other hand, Denmark is right up the road. So I was able to get a year-long non-resident Danish fishing license online (link) for only about 18 euros. It is good for any public fishing areas in Denmark and the kids can fish as well as long as they are with me.

PS - I stopped by the apartment in the afternoon and while T and I were there there was a loud, deep sliding and thumping noise and a lot of snow had slid off the roof with some getting caught by our balcony.

P1210439

No comments: