Monday, April 7, 2008

T has a bike!

Because T is starting school soon, and is anxious about it, we thought we should do something nice for him. He seemed to really enjoy riding D's bike last weekend so we went to two bike stores in town on Saturday and looked at bikes. We found a used bike that looked about his size. It is very much like my bike; it has a hand brake for the front wheel, a pedal brake for the back wheel, a disengageable generator for the front and back lights, a "klinger" (with a shark sticker on it that T didn't like) and a frame for a basket in the back. I had them unlock it and T test drive it around and he really liked it. Next we went in and he picked out a helmet and had it fitted and I bought them for him. M was very jealous but we made it clear that she would get a bike when she learned how to ride one. V and M stayed in town and T and I went back to the apartment. I got out my bike (the first time I've been on it since I got back to Germany with the family!) and T and I went for a ride down to the park ... despite the rain. We got half way and I realized I had V's keys and she and M had no way to get into the apartment when they got back. We turned back, all the while me giving T pointers about cars and bike safety. When we got back to the apartment T wanted to keep riding so I let him ride up and down the road for a while then we went in. V and M returned much later and M had on lipstick! (V took her to try on makeup to get her mind off the bike.) T wanted to go back out so we had him wear a reflective vest and let him go. It made me very nervous and I spied on him from our balcony but he did very well with the cars and everything. After I couldn't stand it any more we called him back in.

P1120533

No comments: