Tuesday, April 8, 2008

T is at his first day of school in Germany

We got up early, V fixed us breakfast, and T and I walked to school. He was very nervous but brave and held control as we walked to the school and tried to be upbeat. I am very proud of him. We went inside and found his room but no one was there (the lights were off and T said it felt "creepy"), so we walked around and found where the kids waited outside behind the building. I was talking to his art teacher inside the door and T was outside for a few minutes with the other kids. When I got out he said they were making fun of his name. We sat on a bench by ourselves in the playground for a while and the other kids played and stared at us. When it was time to go in the kids were running up to the room, grabbing a bag, and running off. We waited for a while and his teacher didn't show up, then we followed the other kids and found his teacher. She said she forgot to tell me that they have PE in the gym as the first class today. T didn't have any clothes or shoes to change into, but she said he could just wear his socks. She told him to follow two girls there (she doesn't teach gym, another teacher does that we haven't met). So that is where I left him. He was too shy to look anyone in the eye but held himself together and followed them quietly. I went back to his room and dropped his book bag off there. I am proud he was so brave but very worried for him and hope his day is not too bad. Gym class is a hard way to be immersed into school in another culture/language, but perhaps this will get the hardest part over with at the beginning. I will meet him when school lets out and see how things went.

No comments: