Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Racism in America, Followup

The list of denied persons for "export" can be downloaded in a link from this federal website:

http://www.bis.doc.gov/dpl/default.shtm

The curious thing is that my friend is not on this list. I checked and double checked and his name is not there. Also, why is an export denial list being used for transactions within the US? (About half of the people on the list appear to be in the US.) Is Dell acting on their own and refusing to sell to him because he has an Arabic name, or is there a hidden list that can't be viewed at the government website?

As pure coincidence, I was about to place an order with Dell for a new desktop/workstation at my job, but now I am seriously considering boycotting Dell. I'm going to have a chat with the guy in charge of ordering computers and see what other companies we can order from.

2 comments:

Lady Liberty said...

See that you might be white and see that I am black you need to slow down. Racism is a very serious thing and every time a person see things not going the way they think it should calling it racism only makes others turn away.
I looked at the list it is in a weird format and not well kept up. Why did they not put it as a pdf?
Also why is there an expiration date?

There are asians on the list. I didn't notice any hispanics but I am sure there must be at least one.

Boycotting is not the first answer. Getting answer from Dell as to why they would not sell to him, since his name is on the list.

Personally, I am not worry to much about the list in of itself. Since there is also an address, this someone who they think is involved with something that is illegal.
I am not even sure Dell is using the list correctly.
I am sorry that your friend has a name that gets him pulled over all the time, but I don't see many Browns or Joneses blowing things up. But that is not racism, those are facts. Depending how bad things get I expect Black people to start getting pulled for airport searches more as some have Muslim names.

newfrank said...

(In response to Lady Libery)

I know what racism is. It is discriminating against someone because of their general ancestry (real or apparent). Yes, racism is very serious and no, I will not keep quiet about this.

He got an answer from Dell about why they wouldn't sell to him and his name is not on the list (neither is his address). There are other companies that sell computers. It is not too much trouble for me to buy from another company to do a tiny part to possibly help protect our freedoms.

"I don't see many Browns or Joneses blowing things up. But that is not racism, those are facts." Many similar statements have been made about African Americans in regard to crime rates. Eric Rudolph, Ted Kaczynski, etc. also come to mind.