Saturday, July 25, 2009

kiva

http://www.kiva.org/

I just wanted to mention this website. It allows people to make micro-loans to people who otherwise would not have access to credit for, for example, buying tools and resources to start a business in third world countries. I think this is a much better idea than simple charity, which (if it's not immediately needed for saving lives) ends up making people economically dependent rather than independent. I have traveled in Africa and have seen first hand how some people work hard year after year (Jinjimana's in Marsabit, Kenya) to try to build economic independence, and also the charity/hand-out mentality that other people can have. Morally, I would be more comfortable with kiva if it allowed loaners to get a (small) return on their investment (yes, I have read Atlas Shrugged), but I understand why they don't have it set up this way (US bureaucracy) and it is a step in the right direction. Just a small amount for a westerner can be a huge amount in many countries and allow people to move over the hump.

I told my kids about this today and we came up with this example together, if you could cut firewood and make $10 selling each log would you do it. Yes. OK, cut down that tree. I can't. You need an axe right? But an axe costs $50 and you don't have the money for it. If someone loaned you $50 and you bought an axe and cut down 5 trees to pay them back, then you have a way to make money after that. This is a simple example but it illustrates how small loans can make a huge difference in the right situation.

No comments: