Tuesday, July 28, 2009

We have a car!

Finally, I own a car that is registered, has new plates, inspection stickers and is fully road legal (to the best of my knowledge) in Germany!

I met K early this morning to sign the rest of the papers transferring ownership and a quick run by a dealer to get a light replaced, her last task to fix up the car for us. Then she was kind enough to go along with me to the registration office to finish all the paperwork and get the new registration and ownership papers, then to a license plate office to get new plates, then back to the registration office to finish the inspection stickers for the new plates. (Here when you buy a car if the exhaust and car inspection has not expired it transfers to the new owner for the remainder of the term, rather than doing it over again.) It all went really quickly, just a few hours, especially with a car to drive around between things rather than doing it all on foot and taking all day as I've had to do before. Then I took over and drove K to her job to drop her off and then drove the car back home. As soon as I got back I took V for a short ride around the block; the first time I've driven her in a car in the Old World. She is putting seat covers on and installing the child seat and booster seat now for the kids then I will take them for a short ride.

No comments: