Friday, November 27, 2009

German Chowder

In the grocery stores here it is hard to find some things we are used to cooking with (okra, some spices, ground turkey, black beans, ...) and there are other things we are not used to. One vegetable that seems to be commonly used here is celeriac (a variety of celery plant that has small stems but large round roots, the celery roots are sold in the store and used for cooking). In English when we say celery we think of the stems of the plant, but in Germany "Sellerie" (pronounced zellery) means the root by default. To mean the stalks specifically you have add "Stangen" (~rods/poles) to it, "Stangensellerie". Another thing that is common are leeks, which of course I know of but have never used in cooking before. The store makes up soup bundles of half a celeriac, with two carrots, and a leek (and occasionally also a parsnip), wrapped together in a rubber band. Back when V was last in the US I bought a German soup bundle to try something with it. What I made has evolved in a few more tries into a kind of bacon chowder, which is very good (also V's opinion). Usually when I make a chowder in the US I use a lot of fennel and potatoes, but here I essentially substituted celeriac for those two ingredients. I will try to put a recipe together here, but I am not sure of all the amounts so I will use x's and either use what seems right or later I may edit and add more specific amounts.

Ingredients:
1/2 celeriac root
2 carrots
1 leek
1 liter whole milk
50-75 grams butter
x cubed/chopped bacon
a small can (8 oz?) of sweet corn nibblets
3-4 handfuls corn flour
a medium bundle of fresh parsley
2 hot (cayenne style) peppers
a few potatoes
some more water

I peeled and finely cubed the celeriac, chopped up the leek, peeled and finely chopped the carrots (first by thinly french slicing them then cross chopping), and put them in a pot (gallon sized?) with a liter of whole milk and butter, the chopped bacon and corn. I started heating this slowly and keep stirring regularly. While that's heating I finely chop up the parsley leaves and dump them in. Turn up the heat a little more and stir everything well. Then chop up two hot peppers and add (I prefer to use fresh hot peppers but they are hard to find here, we have some pickled ones in a jar and I have been using those). Turn up the heat a little more, stir well. Along the way I usually add some more water to increase the volume, and I add a few hand-fulls of corn flour to thicken everything up. I stir it really well with each bit of flour so it doesn't clump and/or burn to the bottom. Each time I have made this I ended up peeling and adding some chopped potatoes to top it off, which can't hurt. The key is to take your time and spend a long time cooking it, heating very slowly, chopping finely, and keeping it stirred almost constantly until it is bubbling. Also, don't eat it right away but give time for the flavor to mix and get into the vegetables. Often it tastes better heated up the next day after cooking. In the end it should be very thick and creamy with some light spicy flavor.

No comments: