Sunday, May 27, 2012

Sunspots!

These indirect sun viewers are easy to do with the kids but we would like more resolution.  I mentioned earlier that T and I looked for shade 14 welding goggles at the local hardware store but couldn't find any.  I ordered a replacement visor plate online for a few dollars and it just arrived in the mail.  (Do not try this with anything less than shade level 14!)  I held it over my camera with a telephoto lens and took some shots at 1/2000 of a second at F 5.6.  Several had some blur, even at such a short exposure, because I was holding it freehand (both the filter and the camera) without a tripod.  However, I did get this below (taken 11:42 AM local time, May 27). 


The sun is green because of the tint in the welding shade.  Here is a zoom in.


You might be able to see some sunspots in a band down the middle.  It helps me to adjust the brightness on the screen a bit.  I looked them up at http://www.spaceweather.com/

Here I've labeled the ones I can make out just to the right of the spots.


And here is the image from space weather for comparison.  The relative orientations are rotated between the images. 


No comments: