Saturday, July 21, 2012

A rainstorm out at sea


The cycle of seasons in Hawai'i is much more subtle than we are used to.  Still it is there.  For example, there are some trees blooming now that I remember blooming back when I first arrived almost a year ago. We are in a very dry part of the island and in a drought so the grass is light brown and when I water some of the plants the ground is hydrophobic; it is so dry the water beads up on the surface and rolls away instead of soaking in.  Also, there are lots of cactus that grow wild around here.  There are other parts of the island however that get a lot of rain and are the green tropical forests that we associate with Hawai'i and the tropics.  It hasn't rained in a while; from what I am told by the neighbors the summer here is the dry season.  In the fall the rain should return.  Yesterday evening I snapped this photo of sheets of rain pouring from the clouds.  It is out over the ocean and not falling on the island, but it is a harbinger of what should come. 

1 comment:

Queens County Tree Removal said...

Hawaii never gets snow, right? I've never been but would love to visit. I've heard of some sort of black sand beach, sounds interesting.

-Carlos Hernandez
Tree Pruning Queens