Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Cleaning the Old Vacuum Pump § 1


I worked on taking apart and cleaning the old two-stage vacuum pump that I salvaged.  The thing weighs 110 pounds!  I started with the motor.  It has a 3/4 hp GE electric motor to run it. 


I took it apart and cleaned all the dust, bugs, cobwebs and gunk out of it.  Then oiled everything with machine oil.  It had two points where you are supposed to add oil for the rotor bearings, but I had to break the factory paint seal to pull the little plugs out (marked with "oil") to add oil.  I don't think the motor has ever been oiled.

I showed T and M the inside so they could see the similarity (coils of wire) with the electric motors we made.  Then put everything back together.  I tried plugging it in and turning it on, while it was unattached, to see if it worked before working on the rest of the pump.  Wow, it jumped sideways and was singing away instantly.  This motor has a lot of torque. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It is important to clean every item at the right time, if we don't do that then it will be damaged by dust and damage wiring is well.

Carpet Cleaning Toronto 911

nutrendmedia said...

Keeping your carpet clean can take a little work so be aware of any spills or stains and do not hesitate to clean them immediately after they occur.

carpet cleaning in adelaide