Monday, June 30, 2008

Fishing and Hochwacht

Saturday I got up early and biked to a lake, the Pluss see, and tried out my new pole. I was there at 3am and fished for 3 hours. I did get a bite and reeled it in but as soon as I pulled the fish out of the water it wriggled itself off and got away. It was about the size of my hand. There were bigger fish out there, I could see them jumping from time to time, but it was not meant to be on this day.

On Sunday I biked north toward Luitjenburg and on to Hochwacht on the Baltic coast. I biked up and down the coast before heading back. The beach here was very nice. Much less crowded then Timmdorfstrand. On the way back I got pretty tired and stopped to rest on a bench. As I sat there two other bikers came up a side road looking exhausted and said hi (moin moin) as they passed and got onto the bike trail. I thought to myself that they must have been lost and continued on the nice bike trail parallel to the main road. After a few more miles I realized I didn't recognize the route and was off the map, so I angled what I tought was south. After many miles more a giant sea opened up next to me and I saw signs for roads toward Kiel. At that point I figured I was way lost and realized I missed my turnoff and I bet the point where I rested and saw the other bikers come up was it. At this point my legs were burning but I had to turn around and retrace. Finally I got back to that point and sure enough there was the turn I had missed. Then it was a long slow return home in a race before sunset (which fortunately takes a very long time this time of year). I finally got back in as V was putting the kids to bed and my legs are very sore today from the workout.

No comments: