Thursday, July 10, 2008

Happy 4th!

This is a bit late. I fell ill last weekend-Monday and have been catching up on everything since.

The fourth of July crept up on us and suddenly we realized it was imminent. I had to do something for it so M and V came to the rescue and made up a batch of "snickerdoodle" cookies. I brought a piled up plate of them to work with five little US flags toothpicks out of the top ones, put them on the shared lunch table, and sent out an email saying they were there for everyone and why. As it happens I forgot to bring my laptop to work so I asked G to send the email for me and he refused (he is English), so I asked a German coworker to send it. Once the word was out they didn't last long. A little while later I passed back by and there were only two flags and some crumbs in the plate that avoided being devoured.

At home we had ice cream for the fourth. Next year I'll try to get some fireworks.

There was a negative note on the day. T was late to school in the morning and in retaliation his teacher drew an "X" on the back of his hand in ink (what century is this?). It was really mean and obvious she had marked back and fourth several times to make the lines thick. I helped him scrub it off with soap and water as best we could. It is fading already.

2 comments:

David said...

That's ridiculous.

David said...

(The part about the X.)