Sunday, May 24, 2009

Back from Vacation

Last week I went for a long train trip. Here if you buy tickets ahead of time they can be very cheap (29 euros) plus buying them with a bahn-card can get an additional 25% off. With V and the kids off to the US and with a huge multi-year project with my previous job finally finished, I booked a round trip through Prague and Munich. One of my motivations for this was to see some mountains. I grew up in the mountains, but for over a year now I have been in the plains around the Baltic with brief visits to other areas that don't have any mountains. It is strange, but I can feel missing seeing at least some kind of mountain for so long. Also, I have heard a lot about Prague (Praha, Czech Republic) and have never been to the Czech Republic (it is still hard for me not to accidentally call it Czechoslovakia) so I booked a route through there.

As it happens, on the way out there was a brief stop for a change of trains in Berlin. I have also never been to Berlin, but there wasn't time to really see anything. Nonetheless, I ran outside of the train station quickly and snapped photos of two landmarks from a distance.

P1190484
The Berlin station is very large, with train platforms on multiple levels.

P1190479

P1190491

P1190488
Here is the iconic Fernsehturm, taken with a zoom from just outside the station.

P1190489
And here is the dome of the Reichstag building, also with a zoom from outside the station.

After Berlin the train route went south and crossed the Czech-German border just past Desden. The region around the border is called Saxon Switzerland or Czech Switzerland, depending which side you are on, and has some cliffs near the Elbe river.

P1190499

(...will add more...)

No comments: