Friday, August 22, 2014

Earthquake!

Wow, we just had a real earthquake.  I woke up after midnight and was doing some work on the computer for the next day.  Suddenly the floor shook; I could really feel it against my feet, and there was a rumble.  At first it felt like something heavy fell next to me and then like a big truck was rumbling nearby (or like I was in a rumbling truck), but none of this happened and I realized it was an earthquake.  I have had hints from time to time but this is the strongest one I have felt since moving to Hawai'i just over three years ago.  I saved what I was working on and went around and checked on everyone but the rest of the family slept right through it.  I also checked the time and it was 2:38 AM.  I checked the USGS website (http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/seismic/volcweb/webicorders/webi_hvo.php) and a seismic recorder here on O'ahu.  I had to wait for a bit for the site to update to cover 2:38 local (12:38 UTC).  Have a look...


Update: 3:20 AM.  It's showing up on the map now (http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/seismic/volcweb/earthquakes/). The red circle to the south of Kaiwi channel.:


Update: 3:50 AM.  Now there are some news reports of the quake (link).  It is reported to be a mild earthquake, initial estimate only 4.1, which I find surprising.  I really felt this one; it shook the building I'm in.  They are reporting no tsunami threat. 

Update: 8:00 PM.  Several more minor news reports (link and link).  Upgraded to a 4.2 quake, 40 miles out in the ocean and 12 miles deep.  It was widely felt around O'ahu.  

No comments: