Friday, August 1, 2014

New Diet: Made it for one year!

I started a diet one year ago today, Aug. 1, 2013, and I've made it for a full year!  

My cholesterol was a bit too high and I could stand to loose some weight.  I cut out shrimp and coconut, which I like but have a lot of cholesterol.  All meat is out except for fish, and I cut out all dairy.  Also egg yolks are out, so egg white only.  (Except for breads which have egg and milk.)  I increased the amount of nuts and vegetable oils like guacamole or hummus.  They have a lot of calories but they help me feel full so I don't snack so much.  Also almost every work day I have had oatmeal for breakfast.  All sugary drinks are out.  In general it has just been water or unsweetened ice tea, occasionally some fruit juice. 

So, my favorite breakfast in the last year is grilled ahi (tuna steak) with scrambled egg whites.  For lunch generally something like cooked eggplant and tofu on brown rice.  For supper generally either veggie sushi with nuts or veggie burgers.  Absolutely no desserts, danishes or donuts. 

Also, I tend to eat everything on my plate, but this means I sometimes eat more than I should.  (I used to make of point of getting just the food I would eat in the college cafeteria and not throwing any away---it bothered me how wasteful so many people were.)  But this has turned into a bad habit today.  It feels wrong to me but another change I have made is that I have been forcing myself to leave some food each meal even if it is just a little bit to get into a good habit of portion control. 

I quickly lost 15 pounds in the first months of the diet and my cholesterol is slowly coming down.  However, it is not enough.  I need to loose some more weight and my blood sugar has been inching up, which puts me a risk of diabetes. 

So I made a resolution to start some exercise this August first.  I am not sure I will be able to keep it like the diet, but I will try.  I'm starting off easy.  This morning V and I put the two little kids (F and K) into a double stroller and took a long walk pushing them up and down hills along the way.  K fell asleep part way but F was talkative the entire time.  I will try to do this again tomorrow... 

No comments: