Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Perseids

It turns out that the meteors I've been seeing lately (in my Weather post and during our camping trip) are the Perseids. A few nights ago the clouds cleared off just after midnight so I woke everybody up to go see them (the peak of activity is on the 12th). When I asked V if she wanted to go all I got was a weak "... no ...". T actually got up and got his coat and shoes on, but then after his mind had woke up some more he asked where we were going. I said to see the meteors. He looked at me funny then said he didn't really want to go. So I told him he could go back to sleep. He was relieved. M was more into it. She popped up and got ready. We walked a short ways to a lake where the trees screened out the town lights and the sky was clear in the right direction. Along the way I got to point out the north star to her, which she has been asking about and wanted to see. While we waited we saw several big bright meteors and M got to make some wishes. Then the clouds started coming back so we went back home, around 2:30am.

No comments: