Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Social Security Card

North Carolina has a new requirement for driver's licenses. We have to present a federal social security card to get an NC license now. Neither V nor I have one so we went and submitted paperwork to get a card mailed to us yesterday. This involved a minute of filling out the form, then several hours of waiting for our number to be called. While waiting if we sat in one of the seats in front of the closed offices a security guard came over and told us we couldn't sit there. So we stood near them most of the time while the kids played with other kids on the floor. Finally they called our numbers and we turned in our forms and showed them our IDs (passport and MD driver's license). It is supposed to take 10 days to get the card so we may not make it before we move.

We also went to Costco so I could get a free hearing test. I haven't had one in years (I am partially deaf) and wanted a baseline before moving to Germany. I might try to use our European insurance to finally get a hearing aid while in Germany (my various US insurances over the years have refused to pay for one despite saying they cover them in their paperwork).

No comments: