Saturday, April 14, 2012

Fun with the vacuum pump


I picked up some 3/8 inch braided reinforced tubing from the hardware store.  (It said self service on a sign so I cut a 3 foot section by measuring it on my arm, but the cashier said we were supposed to ask for help and denied that it said self service at the hosing section...?  Anyway, I got it cut to exactly 3 feet when she measured it.)  I also picked up a nylon hose barb and a "lavatory Pop-up Gasket: Fits American Standard" Stock No. 34621B in the kitchen repair section to go over the end; it looked about right and turned out to fit perfectly. 


Then we found and cleaned a sturdy large glass bottle and dropped a bunch of small "hot chocolate style" marshmallows in it. 


My laboratory assistant stood at the ready with her safety goggles on. (T also played with the pump a bit but was not around when I took the pictures.) 


Just before starting the vacuum. 


The marshmallows swell up as the vacuum is drawn, because of the air bubbles trapped within them.  (I know it doesn't look as dramatic in pictures, perhaps I should try to catch this on video.)


Then they shrink up wrinkled as the vacuum seal is broken and the atmosphere crashes back down on them. 

No comments: