Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Quadrotor Drone Frame

Earlier I posted a video about the nano-quadrotor swarm.  And actually long before that I have been following the DIY Drones website.  I've talked about this to the kids and M wants to build a submarine drone, which would be cool, but I figured we could start working on a quadrotor because there is so much available and worked out already.

As a first step I order a cheap frame from Hobby King (link).  With shipping you can get one for less than $20.  I put it together in two early mornings of gluing (with Gorilla Glue and some q-tips I stole from the bathroom). 


It is thin balsa wood, so one good crash and it is gone, but it is so cheap it can't hurt to get started.  If we do eventually get a working quadrotor put together I can change out the frame later. (Perhaps we could make one out of bendy straws?)

Also, it occurred to me while driving yesterday that attaching a small geiger counter to one of these drones, with a view camera, and flying it into areas without risking human exposure might be an excellent application to measure radiation levels in disasters like the one in Fukushima, Japan last year.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks

Unknown said...

Building your own drone is alway tons of fun, until you get frustrated with the fact that there is a problem somewhere and you can't find it and make the drone fly... If your project fails, you can always opt for an RTF model. It doesn't have to be an expensive one, though, you can check out some cheap, but quite nice models. Check out this review of some of the best quadrotor drones: http://mydronelab.com/best-pick/quadrotor-drone.html