Sunday, February 3, 2008

Biked to Eutin and back

There was a dusting of snow on the ground this morning, but it was a bright clear day. First thing I walked into town and took some pictures of the kids future school so they could get an idea of what it looked like. I made a promise to myself not to work on weekends anymore once I got to my new job in Germany so after taking the pictures I headed back to the apartment. (It feels really odd right now not to be at work for two days in a row.) Along the way I bought a bike route map for a couple of euros at a convienience store (everything else, including the grocery store, seems to be closed in Ploen on Sunday). When I got back to the apartment G was here and I said I was going out for a ride on my bike. He said he was up for a ride so I said how about we go to the coast on the Baltic. He laughed at me but went along with it. (Honestly I wasn't sure I could bike that far but I could take the train back if I needed to.) We biked down 76, the main road through town toward Haffkrug, a town on the coast. After about a third of the way it was clear to me that I wasn't going to make it to the coast and back so we diverted to the town of Eutin where I bought my bike yesterday. Evidently, during my years as a postdoc in Maryland my leg muscles have atrophied and turned to mush. We took a break in Eutin where I got a hot cappuchino and a sandwich at the same cafe on the town square, "Knaack," we stopped at the day before when buying my bike. Here is a picture:

P1110784

Then we proceded to bike back to Ploen via Bad Malente. We got a bit lost and went on a longer route then we planned (north of the Kellersee rather than south of it), but made it. I was so tierd I had to walk and push my bike up a few of the hills. What was doubly embaressing about it was that this area is actually very flat. We finally made it back to Ploen after sunset and just before it got dark. I am determined now to get in better shape so I can bike to the coast if I want. I plan to try to bike a little each day, if the weather is good, to build my strength and stamina back up. Below is the bike route map updated with the route I took today and some pictures.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ty and Em want to know if the cow on a raft is real or fake.

newfrank said...

I stared at it a long time and never saw it move, but perhaps it didn't want to upset the raft?