Friday, February 1, 2008

In Germany!

The flight went well. I got two seats to myself across the Atlantic but I couldn't sleep a bit--too excited. The sun came up during the layover in Amsterdam. We boarded the plane outside in Amsterdam and it was very windy. When we were approaching the landing in Hamburg the pilot made an announcement about the wind. I thought he said 80 km/h gusts but I'm not sure that's right. The handle broke on my big suitcase when I got it off the baggage conveyer, must have packed it too heavy. (This is the most I've ever packed during a trip, 3 big suitcases and my daypack. One was too large for a carryon but they didn't stop me on both legs and it squeezed into the overhead rack.) I met G right away at the airport and we drove his car to Ploen and to the apartment I will be staying at this month. Then we went to get some lunch, ate at Eisenpfanne, I had calamari which was the largest calamari I've ever had, like onion rings, and came with a side salad. Along the walk there it was very windy, waves in the Grosser Ploener See were whitecapping and there were streetlights that had the tops blown down and broken. The apartment building I will be moving to was surronded in scaffolds. and my future bedroom has a tarp where the window used to be; I hope the work is finished soon. After eating I went to grab some groceries. The lady at the checkout greeted us with "moin moin" (I've heard this is a regional greeting in southern Denmark and northern Germany) and I was able to say "zusammen" to pay for things together but then I missed the rest of what she said and had to say "sorry" in English and she asked where we were from.

more later ... have to rest

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear it! How was your flight? Were you able to sleep?

David said...

Glad you made it ok, hope you are able to get over the jetlag quickly.