Sunday, February 17, 2008

My new computer

My employer offered to buy me a new computer so I picked out a Dell XPS M1330 laptop with the RAM and hard drive maxed out and it was ready for me to pick up on Friday. It is small and lightweight so I can carry it around easily and has all kids of ports, drives and wireless connectivity. It came with windows vista so the first thing we did is wipe the hard drive, partition it in half, and install windows XP on one of the partitions. Later I plan to install Ubuntu Linux on the other partition. The first software I installed was 1) Mozilla Firefox, 2) Google Earth, and 3) Skype. I haven't had much time to explore all of it but one unexpected thing I'm really starting to like is its built in fingerprint scanner. To log into my account I don't have to select my user ID and type in a password, all I do is swipe my finger over the scanner and I am in. (But there is the nagging wonder if the US federal government is collecting this data from Microsoft, for a reasonable fee.) It also has a built in video camera that I used last night for a skype video call to my wife and kids back in the states.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What's wrong with windows vista?

David said...

Heh, Kamama beat me to it. I know it gets a lot of flak, but I actually like Vista. I know that nothing is really secure, but I do feel somewhat safer using it as opposed to older windows versions.

newfrank said...

This comes more from the network administration then from me. They don't want vista on the network just yet and are trying to have all windows machines to be XP. I've never used vista and XP works fine for me (for windows) so vista got wiped. Later we may add it back.