Monday, February 18, 2008

Nach Ascheberg

I found my gloves! I thought I had left them here boxed up last December but couldn't find them until now. They, of course, were in the one place I didn't look and didn't think they were--in a bag with some of V's clothes.

It was a gray day today but armed with gloves I took off for a bike ride before work. Starting off I noticed that they are shingling our future apartment. There was a large flat bed parked out front lifting stacks of red terra cotta tiles to the roof with a crane where people were unloading it.

I extended my explored route to the west, further toward Ascheberg from Koppelsberg. The extension is plotted in blue in the map below. It occurred to me later that instead of turning back I could have kept going to Ascheberg and rode the train back from the station there. I'm might try that sometime.



One quick observation about Germans, Germans tend to be very quiet in groups and many avoid eye contact when walking by. In contrast they, and many other nationalities I've talked to, consider Americans to be very loud and "chatty".

Also, the door thing that I mentioned in an earlier post, the outside doors to buildings tend to open inwards rather than outwards as in the states, and the doors in bathroom stalls tend to open outwards, again the opposite as the trend in the states. I keep finding myself pushing on doors in the wrong directions and feeling stupid about it, but hopefully even I can learn.

No comments: