Saturday, February 2, 2008

Got a Bike!

Last night I took a look around my new work space then had to go back to the apartment to sleep.  I woke up around 1am local which means I overshot my jet lag adjustment and landed somewhere around the Indian timezone, but I was able to fall back asleep then got up again around 9:30.  It was a clear sunny day this morning, after eating breakfast I went straight to the local bicycle shop and looked at used bikes.  The best I could find was a bike for 130 euros with a "feminine" frame, so we went down to a nearby town, Eutin, and found a bike shop there.  There were only newish expensive bikes so I asked if they had anything cheaper and he lead me to "the back room" which was a garage full of old bikes.  I found one the right size for me for 80 euros.  It has back pedal braking and a hand brake on the front wheel, a "klinger," enclosed gears, 7 speeds on a rotating handle shifter and a engageable wheel driven dynamo for the lights. It also has a frame for a basket in the back.  

P1110747

I haven't owned a bike since I was 18 but I got one within 24 hours of landing in Germany. I plan on using it a lot since I also don't plan on having a car here.

As a side note, I'm getting much more used to my chipped tooth. It doesn't bother me as much and I'm not so aware of the rough (and sharp!) edge now. Also, I unpacked some last night and found out that I have both my keys and my wife's set of keys in my coat pockets. I hope she made it back OK from dropping me off at the airport!

One thing that I'm noticing right away here in Germany is that doors open in directions I'm not used too. I can't quite put my finger on it but they tend to open inward when I expect to push out and vice versa.